Sunday, December 23, 2007

Bitty Kitty Wallet

J beat me to the punch in getting L a Starbucks gift card for the holiday. Instead I made her a little wallet to hold her card, her library card and where she can collect the business cards that she likes so much.

This is nothing fancy. Two layers of wool felt, with a third piece for the pocket. Both appliques are wool felt as well. All the sewing is done with scrap bits of embroidery thread.



It's a little wonky though. To start with it's not very square. I fixed that with a heavy dose of steam from the iron and a few trims with my rotary cutter. I'm really giving that tool a workout lately. I don't know what I used to do without it.

Second the female half of the magnetic snap isn't all that secure. When it eventually comes loose I'll have to replace it with a ribbon since it's one of those item that can't easily be removed without leaving behind damage. I should have been more careful with it but again, late at night and with L hovering over my shoulder I wasn't.

Third it closes backwards. I wanted the cat on the front but I wasn't thinking when I did the appliqué. I forget to reverse the design before tracing it onto the wonder under so when I ironed it on, it was reversed. At least I also forgot to reverse the bird too. to reverse the bird, so it ended up on the opposite side, which is what I wanted (only backwards).



I slipped the card into it before wrapping with a scrap of fabric. Hopefully she'll like it, not loose it & oh yeah, treat her mom to a coffee once and a while!

No comments: